ENSO Response Process Workshop
ENSO is a natural hazard in Vanuatu, and with the possibility of an El Niño event occurring in late 2012, the Vanuatu Meteorology and Geohazards Department wishes to
- confirm membership of the ENSO Committee (El Niño Southern Oscillation Committee), and
- undertake an initial briefing on the ENSO Response Process for committee members and stakeholders.
The VMGD is therefore hosting an ENSO Response Process Workshop on Friday 24th August, from 8.30am to 1pm at the Vanuatu Meteorological and Geohazards conference room.
All ENSO Committee members and organisations working in sectors impacted by El Niño effects are strongly encouraged to attend.
The expected outcomes of this workshop are:
- An update on the current El Niño indicators, predictions on El Niño development, and discussion of possible impact on sectors and communities
- A shared understanding of the ENSO Response Process (the ENSO Directive)
- A shared understanding of the membership, roles and duties of the ENSO Committee, including dissemination of information to networks, clients and communities and collecting information on observed impacts for reporting to the ENSO Committee
- A shared understanding of how information on El Niño will be distributed to the public
- Exploration by sector of how to better disseminate information on El Niño and preparedness to clients and communities
- Distribution of information materials and contact details for ENSO related communications.