Outcomes of the Regional training workshop on the identification and development of climate change no-regret actions in the water sector
Regional training workshop on the identification and development of climate change no-regret actions in the water sector (3-5 October 2012, Amman –Jordan)
SWIM-SM has conducted a 3-day regional training to develop the capacity of national and local water practitioners from the Partner Countries (PCs) to undertake immediate precautionary measures towards the adaptation of the water sector to potential negative impacts of climate change.
The training was organized by the Global Water Partnership-Mediterranean (GWP-Med), member of the SWIM-SM consortium, in cooperation with the Horizon 2020 Capacity Building component and addressed the following specific learning objective:
1) Raise the awareness of the participants on the potential impacts of climate changes on water resources in the region, its socio-economic and environmental consequences,
2) Increase their understanding on the degree of vulnerability particularly to increasing drought and flood events,
3) Make the case for adopting the no-regret actions approach as the appropriate and immediate means for the water sector to adapt to climate change,
4) Introduce appropriate approaches for planning, strategizing and developing no-regret actions measures, plans and policies, with a special focus on drought and flood management-
5) Review capacity, political commitments and measures needed for the creation of an enabling environment for the implementation of no-regret actions including institutional, legislative and financial needs
6) Identify and discuss appropriate approach and practices for mainstreaming no-regret actions into IWRM policy frameworks
7) Identify the optimal communication and public participation strategies to enhance the role of communities in designing and implementing no-regret water management measures.