Vanuatu has reformed its UNFCCC engagement approach since 2012, greatly expanding the caliber and capacity of its delegation to annual Conferences of the Parties, as well as opening the negotiation process to a wide group of stakeholders from Government and non-Government organizations.
An outstanding delegation has been assembled to forward Vanuatu’s national interests at COP22.
1) Develop and refine Vanuatu’s core negotiating positions for further domestic consultation
2) Review key COP processes and identify entry points for Vanuatu in the lead up to COP21
3) Better understand the current negotiation context, and identify negotiation partners and strategic alliances
4) Expand delegate negotiation and textual comprehension skills through practical and hands-on experience
5) Enhance an understanding of the role of media and public engagement in the COP21 process before, during and after COP21
5) Further elaborate and plan for additional COP21 preparatory activities within Vanuatu, including the discussion and design of a major public event to draw attention to Vanuatu’s climate plight.